Wednesday, January 23, 2013

WELCOME TO MY BUTTER FAMILY BLOG


     Welcome to my genealogy blog about the above named families. After many years of searching out elusive ancestors, I will attempt to share what I have found along the way. In doing so, I hope to attract other researchers to my blog who will want to collaborate. By sharing our information maybe a complete picture can be put forth on a particular ancestor or even a complete line. My dream would be that everyone will eventually post the same information on their trees. No small dream!!

      For this first post, I will introduce myself, tell how I began this journey and present a tribute to my mentor.

      My name is Virginia Butter Fields (Ginny). My husband and I are retired with three adult children and five grandsons. We live in Texas and since retiring have enjoyed living aboard and cruising our boat both in the Pacific Northwest and Mexico. I have put trips to Salt Lake City on my agenda on a fairly regular basis. My cousin and I also do road trips seeking all that we can find on our ancestors; these trips are fondly known as our Dead Relative Tours. Our husbands are delighted with our connection for this hobby as they do not have to accompany us through dusty courthouses and weedy cemeteries. My goal is to leave my descendants the most complete family history possible.

     My genealogy journey began when a letter addressed to my Dad arrived at our house in about 1960. The person was asking my Dad where he was originally from and if he knew anything about his family history. She was researching the Butter surname and had found my Dad in the phone book while passing through our city. My Dad and Mom replied to her with what he knew about his ancestors. This was fairly easy as he was born and raised in a tiny Louisiana rural area where his great grandfather had settled when he arrived from England in the 1840's. Once the letter was mailed, my Dad realized who the sender was – a relative also from his home place of Forest Hill, Louisiana. Her name was Corrie Butter and I was hooked on family history. Corrie and I consulted many times over the years and Corrie was always gracious and anxious to share her information. Our last visit was the end of November 2013 when I visited Forest Hill. She and her niece gave me a tour of the house built by our immigrant Butter ancestor. It was a great day and a great visit. Sadly, Corrie passed away on January 3, 2014 at the age of 93. Her passing leaves a void in my genealogy life; her great love of family and history and her willingness to share have been an inspiration for many years.
 
     Next post: Henry Butter (1816-1880) immigrant ancestor.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Ginny this is wonderful. I love how you started your blog with this great background information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, so glad to see that you are still working on the family history. Libby Mix

    ReplyDelete